Wire Transfer FAQ

What is the preferred way to pay my student account balance if my family lives outside of the United States?

The most efficient payment process for an international student to pay student account charges is through Western Union Business Solutions GlobalPay for Students. This option allows you to pay your student account billed in U.S. dollars in the currency of your choice (limited to the currencies in the Western Union system).

What are the advantages of using the Western Union Business Solutions GlobalPay for Students option?

GlobalPay for Students provides the following benefits:

  • You make payment in the currency of your choice (based upon the currencies available in the GlobalPay system). This amount is then converted to U.S. dollars and applied to your Notre Dame student account.
  • There are no transaction charges from Western Union or Notre Dame, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
  • The exchange rate quote is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated.
  • The exchange rate is competitive when compared to your financial institution's retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the transaction is initiated as a local transfer.
  • Payments include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your Notre Dame student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.

Where can I see the list of currencies that are available?

Once in the GlobalPay for Students website, the list of currencies is available by clicking on the drop down arrow just below “Paying fees from.”

How much am I able to send?

The amount being transferred to Notre Dame should be for tuition, fees and other charges on your student account. Tuition and fee charges are billed in accordance with the academic terms (fall/spring/summer, if applicable) and are expected to be paid in a timely manner. Refer to IRISHPAY for the most current balance on your student account.

What if I want to wire money to the student?

A family wanting to wire money to the student should transfer the funds directly to the student’s personal bank account.  Amounts in excess of the balance due on the student cannot be refunded to the student and will be returned to the sender.

What if the student does not have a personal bank account in the United States?

If the student does not have a U.S. bank account, (s)he should review the information provided by the Office of Treasury Services regarding Student Banking prior to opening a personal bank account.

Who do I call if I have a question?

For general inquiries about the payments process, please contact Western Union at studentinquiries@westernunion.com or call 877-218-8829.