A student or parent of an undergraduate student may request a refund when a valid credit balance exists. Please note that refunds of financial aid for a given semester cannot be issued until the funds are received and posted to the student's account, the student has completed ND Roll Call, and classes have begun for the program in which the student is enrolled.
A refund may be requested by completing the Online Refund Request form. Students receive refunds via direct deposit as outlined below. Parents requesting refunds must follow the paper check process outlined below.
To receive a refund via direct deposit:
Direct deposit refunds are processed daily and are the fastest and most convenient way to receive a refund. Direct deposit refunds to students are processed via IRISHPAY. To sign up for direct deposit, please follow the following instructions:
- Log into IRISHPay and select Direct Deposit from the navigation menu
- Click Continue
- Enter in the required banking information
- For Undergraduates, written permission (preferably email) from the parent is required each semester if the credit balance results from a payment to the account, a Direct PLUS Loan or a monthly payment plan contract with Cashnet.
- Your Student Account is not to be used as a bank account. We ask that students and parents do not make recurring partial refund requests on an as-needed basis from your Student Account. If such a pattern becomes apparent, the Student Accounts Office may, at its discretion, refund the full available credit balance on your account.
- IRISHPAY direct deposit is separate from the direct deposit that you may have on file with the University's Payroll Office for stipends or campus employment.
- Based upon the volume of requests for refunds during the first week of classes each semester, it may take up to one week to process requests.
To receive a refund via paper check:
Please note that paper checks are processed only once per week. If the check is to be mailed, please indicate the mailing address within the special instructions field of the online form. The student may also pick up the check in our office and will be notified when the check is available. Picture ID is required in order to pick up a check.